Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a fast and easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but incredibly versatile given that they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally got ours just a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my pointers, ideas, as well as methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as requirements you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of being able to utilize gas as well as also wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may really trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you care for it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. Finding that propane container as well as having it filled might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas storage tank, and after that as soon as we discovered one we had to find a place to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local equipment shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of areas prior to I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front right side is the trendy place which provides you more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to move the pizza around and likewise a great range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. However, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the warmth to low as well as cooking it awhile longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. With that said, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit anxious concerning the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the heat just right and also keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we make use of all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. This will offer you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t add a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more way to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Keep it straightforward and also top gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant but hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and also extremely crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to remain to define just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we need to acquire it or just attempt to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels as well. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly useful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One point that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside from time to time as dirt settles on it, yet aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not take up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will certainly assist it last longer. If you don’t have any covered area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the gas and also let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience because I assume that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot even more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also very lightweight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a little bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.