Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a simple as well as fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet very versatile since they can reach such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my pointers, methods, and ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas and likewise wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a well-made, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp tank. I’m not sure why, however here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a propane storage tank, and also after that when we found one we had to discover a location to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might believe! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair mins.
The great component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front right side is the trendy area which offers you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to move the pizza around and likewise a good range between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to cook too quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to reduced and cooking it awhile longer at a reduced temperature might be much easier. With that claimed, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the heat to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit nervous concerning the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warm perfect and also maintain it relocating. However, I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to master it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out too big unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically divide a one extra pound round of dough in two, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin between. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t prepare completely through.
- Don’t add as well numerous garnishes to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was unconvinced but enthusiastic that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You get those completely charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to remain to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. If we must get it or just try to discover something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Let me conserve you some time and also power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright ideal size, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was also rather basic to create – or at least I really did not hear my companion swear excessive while he was placing it together and also I think it was done in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming as well as pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely useful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, yet often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
Something that actually attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the inside or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dust settles on it, yet aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t use up way too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will help it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of covered area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) however I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply connect the propane and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely doable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it supplies. Because I think that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more job. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise really lightweight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.