Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a fast and easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet super functional considering that they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly got ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, pointers, as well as methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and requirements you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and likewise desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly stimulate some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening much more amazing!
Likewise, this is a durable, high quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
You will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that lp container as well as having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a gas storage tank, and then once we discovered one we needed to locate a location to get it filled. Fortunately, our local equipment store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel much, yet I called a TON of locations prior to I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could assume! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple mins.
The good part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool spot which offers you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to move the pizza around and additionally a great range between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to cooking as well as low it for a little bit longer at a reduced temperature might be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our liked cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit nervous concerning the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warmth just right as well as keep it moving. I was happily surprised to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking procedure. I might NOT have actually been more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and then roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t add also lots of garnishes to your pizza. Another means to make sure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You desire your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic yet skeptical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and incredibly crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to continue to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will certainly be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s economical as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we ought to get it or just try to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels too. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, yet often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best offer.
Something that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to sanitize the within or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside every so often as dirt decides on it, however other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply link the gas and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience due to the fact that I assume that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a headache, the actual preparing and also prepping to be a little bit taxing, and I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure involved. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly simple, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also very light-weight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.