Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast and simple means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet very functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly got ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my tricks, ideas, as well as thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and requirements you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your exterior area may actually spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a durable, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. I’m not certain why, however here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas tank, as well as after that when we located one we had to discover a place to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might believe! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as also a good distance in between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it begins to cook as well quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp might be simpler. With that said said, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit nervous concerning the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warm perfect and also keep it moving. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I actually lucked out because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the center it won’t cook all the means through.
- Don’t add way too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it leading as well as easy lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic yet doubtful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and extremely crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to continue to describe how tasty the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s low-cost and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or just try to find another thing comparable online. Allow me save you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth. It was likewise rather straightforward to put together – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion promise way too much while he was putting it together and also I think it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable as well as pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s very handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
Something that really lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no requirement to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dirt settles on it, yet other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the lp and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely practical on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I assume that preparing and also making food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot even more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise very lightweight and mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a little storage space to maintain it dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.