Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a simple and also quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but extremely flexible because they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also finally got ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my techniques, suggestions, as well as thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally desired a bigger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area may truly stimulate some delight for you and make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Likewise, this is a durable, quality food preparation device that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not certain why, however here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a propane storage tank, and after that once we located one we had to find a place to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may believe! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair mins.
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool place which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a good distance in between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the heat to cooking as well as low it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature could be easier. Keeping that claimed, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried regarding the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warmth ideal and also keep it relocating. However, I was happily shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also covering. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been quite prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation process. I might NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is very very easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel as well. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we use all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I really lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to delicately create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms up until it gets large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very slim in the center. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood fired pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not cook right with.
- Don’t include a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it leading as well as simple lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident but doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical and chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we should buy it or simply try to find something else comparable online. However let me conserve you time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise pretty basic to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion vow too much while he was placing it together and I assume it was performed in less than an hr, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels too. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly handy in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best deal.
Something that actually enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside from time to time as dirt picks it, yet aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t take up excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will help it last much longer. If you do not have any protected area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s actually not. You simply connect the propane and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I believe that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot even more job. I was expecting the setup to be a problem, the actual prepping and preparing to be a bit lengthy, and also I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure involved. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a actually simple, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite very easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s additionally extremely lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.