Oonie Pizza Dough Recipe
Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a fast and also very easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but extremely versatile given that they can get to such a heat and also cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately got ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, tricks, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as requirements you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might actually trigger some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening more exciting!
This is a well-made, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that lp tank and having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, however below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas container, and afterwards as soon as we located one we had to locate a location to get it filled up. The good news is, our neighborhood equipment store had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel much, but I called a TON of locations before I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! It was definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you link the lp container, you simply turn it as much as high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins. After that reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at just how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the trendy spot which provides you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to move the pizza around and also a excellent range between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to cook as well swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that claimed transforming the heat to cooking and also low it for a little bit much longer at a lower temp could be much easier. With that said claimed, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the heat ideal as well as maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily surprised to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as topping. But honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I could NOT have been extra incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely very easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I actually lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains large enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely slim in the middle. This will offer you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not cook all the way through.
- Do not add too many toppings to your pizza. One more means to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it top as well as simple gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident but hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and extremely crisp on the outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to continue to explain just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s affordable as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we must buy it or just search for something else similar online. However let me save you time and energy. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright best size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was likewise rather straightforward to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner vow excessive while he was putting it together and I think it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels too. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to cook!
>> Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One thing that really enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the inside or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior every so often as dirt picks it, however other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply attach the lp as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely workable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. Due to the fact that I think that preparing and making food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot more work. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a really basic, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite easy.
It’s additionally really lightweight and mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.