Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a simple as well as quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however extremely functional considering that they can reach such a heat and also prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my tricks, ideas, and thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specifications you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to use gas and additionally desired a larger size so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may actually spark some happiness for you and make pizza night more amazing!
Additionally, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank. Tracking down that gas storage tank as well as having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a gas storage tank, and then as soon as we found one we had to find a area to get it loaded. Thankfully, our local equipment shop had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of locations prior to I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might think! It was most definitely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high and also let it warm up for 20 minutes when you attach the gas storage tank. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly amazed at just how easy the Ooni is to make use of and exactly how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the great spot which gives you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the warmth to cooking as well as reduced it awhile longer at a lower temp could be easier. Keeping that stated, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit nervous about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the heat ideal and also maintain it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He suggests using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick between it will not cook completely via.
- Don’t include as well several toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced however enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as very crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to remain to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been sure if we ought to buy it or just try to find another thing similar online. Let me conserve you some time and energy. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright ideal dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was additionally rather simple to put together – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion vouch too much while he was placing it together as well as I believe it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One thing that actually enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no demand to sanitize the inside or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every so often as dirt picks it, but other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of covered room to save it however.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. You just link the propane as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I assume that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot even more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise really light-weight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.