Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a quick as well as easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill yet incredibly functional considering that they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally got ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, pointers, as well as techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas and additionally wanted a larger size so that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may really spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza night much more amazing!
This is a reliable, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp tank. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a gas tank, and also after that once we located one we had to discover a place to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might believe! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy spot which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a good range between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to cook also rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to reduced and cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature might be simpler. Keeping that said, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious concerning the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warmth ideal as well as maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after just a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
I assume we get a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. I can NOT have been extra incorrect. Using the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one pound sphere of dough in two, and after that roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms till it gets big enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really slim between. This will certainly provide you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook all the way with.
- Don’t include way too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to make certain that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it top and straightforward lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature added additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was cynical however confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You get those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to describe just how delicious the pizza is, however let me just state, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we must buy it or just try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming as well as quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s super helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, however sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One point that truly tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to decontaminate or sanitize the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt picks it, but other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just link the lp and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I believe that making as well as cooking food really can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal more job. I was expecting the setup to be a trouble, the real preparing as well as prepping to be a bit lengthy, as well as I had not been sure what the cleaning process entailed. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really easy, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s likewise really light-weight as well as portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a little storage space to keep it completely dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.