Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a quick and easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however super functional since they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately got ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, suggestions, as well as techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements as well as spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of being able to use gas and likewise desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually spark some delight for you as well as make pizza night extra interesting!
Also, this is a reliable, quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not certain why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane container, and also after that as soon as we found one we had to discover a place to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple mins.
The wonderful part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the cool area which provides you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great distance in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to prepare also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the heat to low and cooking it awhile longer at a reduced temp might be less complicated. Keeping that said, our liked food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit nervous concerning the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warm ideal and also maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and topping. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. I can NOT have been a lot more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very easy and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel as well. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound round of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will certainly give you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another means to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it easy and leading gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident however cynical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You get those completely charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the within as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to remain to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will certainly be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we should get it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off also. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
Something that truly tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior periodically as dust decides on it, however other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just attach the propane as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely workable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience because I assume that preparing as well as making food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal even more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a headache, the real prepping and also cooking to be a little bit taxing, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly simple, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite easy. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also extremely lightweight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.