Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite popular and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a simple and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet extremely flexible since they can get to such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately obtained ours just a few months back. I know you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, thoughts, and also methods – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also requirements you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of being able to make use of gas as well as also wanted a bigger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might really trigger some joy for you and make pizza evening a lot more interesting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, top quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that lp storage tank and also having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a propane tank, and afterwards when we found one we needed to discover a area to get it filled. The good news is, our local equipment shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to take a trip far, however I called a TON of locations prior to I might even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may think! It was absolutely easier than I anticipated it to be. When you connect the propane storage tank, you just turn it as much as high and let it warm up for 20 mins. Then lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly stunned at how easy the Ooni is to make use of and just how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The great part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the cool area which gives you much more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great range between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to prepare as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that said turning the warmth to low as well as cooking it awhile longer at a reduced temperature could be much easier. With that stated, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious concerning the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warm perfect as well as maintain it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Yet truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I might NOT have actually been much more wrong. Using the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I actually prevailed because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. He suggests using your fingers to delicately create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely slim in the center. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t prepare all the method through.
- Don’t include also numerous garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful but doubtful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the within as well as super crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to continue to define how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or just attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s super handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One thing that really attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to disinfect or disinfect the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dirt chooses it, however other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a great deal of work to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it supplies. Because I believe that cooking and making food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal even more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a headache, the actual preparing and prepping to be a little bit lengthy, and I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure involved. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty easy. As well as clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s also extremely lightweight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.