Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They use a easy and quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but very versatile since they can reach such a heat as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours simply a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my tricks, pointers, and thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and requirements you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas and additionally desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may truly spark some pleasure for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
This is a well-made, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp storage tank, as well as after that once we located one we had to discover a location to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might assume! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a pair minutes.
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the awesome place which offers you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent range in between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the warmth to reduced and cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. Keeping that said, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit nervous regarding the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth ideal as well as keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily shocked to discover that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is very easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will certainly provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t add also numerous toppings to your pizza. One more way to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hopeful but doubtful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and also super crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to continue to describe how delicious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit much more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. If we need to acquire it or just attempt to find something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Allow me conserve you some time and also power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect size, includes a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was also rather easy to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner swear too much while he was putting it together and I assume it was carried out in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels too. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s very valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also is ready to cook!
>> Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One point that really lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the outside periodically as dirt settles on it, yet aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the propane and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely practical on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it supplies. Since I think that making as well as preparing food really can be an experience, I do state experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also very lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.