Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a easy as well as quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however very functional since they can get to such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately got ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my methods, pointers, as well as ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specs you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as also wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area might really trigger some pleasure for you as well as make pizza evening more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-made, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane tank. I’m not sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas storage tank, and also then once we located one we had to locate a place to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! It was absolutely much easier than I expected it to be. When you connect the lp container, you just turn it approximately high and also let it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both pleasantly surprised at how very easy the Ooni is to use and also how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the trendy area which gives you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent distance in between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it begins to prepare as well promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warm to low and also cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temp may be less complicated. Keeping that claimed, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit anxious about the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth perfect and maintain it moving. However, I was happily stunned to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to master it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and topping. Yet honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation process. I can NOT have actually been more wrong. Using the pizza oven is incredibly easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, as well as after that scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. This will certainly provide you that signature timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t add way too many garnishes to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it simple and leading gently. This is not the time to make your trademark added added cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident however skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also very crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to explain exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s affordable and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth about. I had not been certain if we must buy it or just look for another thing comparable online. However let me conserve you a long time and also power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the outright perfect size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was also quite basic to put together – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion vouch way too much while he was putting it with each other as well as I think it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One thing that actually tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no demand to disinfect or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside from time to time as dust picks it, yet besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not occupy too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any protected room to store it however.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the lp as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. Since I think that making as well as preparing food really can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal more work. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really basic, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.