Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent and it’s not hard to see why! They offer a easy and also quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however incredibly flexible given that they can reach such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my techniques, suggestions, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally desired a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location might actually trigger some joy for you and make pizza night much more amazing!
This is a well-made, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. Tracking down that lp storage tank and also having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a lp storage tank, and afterwards when we located one we had to discover a area to get it filled. Thankfully, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip much, however I called a TON of areas before I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple minutes.
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the cool spot which offers you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to move the pizza around and also a great distance in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to cooking as well as reduced it awhile longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. With that said said, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried about the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warmth perfect as well as keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been fairly ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely very easy and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel also. This will make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I really prevailed since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that signature timber fired pizza oven structure you’re searching for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook all the method via.
- Do not include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another means to make sure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it leading as well as basic gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful yet cynical that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and incredibly crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to remain to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s low-cost and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we need to buy it or simply try to find something else similar online. Allow me conserve you some time and also power. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute ideal size, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth. It was likewise pretty simple to assemble – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion swear excessive while he was putting it together and I think it was carried out in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One thing that truly lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect or sanitize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every now and then as dust decides on it, yet apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly help it last much longer. If you do not have any type of protected room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply attach the gas and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I assume that cooking and also making food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a hassle, the actual prepping and preparing to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleaning procedure required. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite simple. As well as clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.