Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a easy and also quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however super functional because they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally got ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my tips, techniques, as well as thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and specifications you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza evening much more amazing!
Additionally, this is a reliable, quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. I’m not certain why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas container, as well as then as soon as we located one we had to discover a location to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might assume! It was most definitely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 minutes once you link the lp storage tank. Then reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins. My companion and also I were both happily shocked at just how easy the Ooni is to use and exactly how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool area which provides you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around and also a great range between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warm to cooking and low it for a bit longer at a lower temp might be much easier. With that claimed, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth perfect and also maintain it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking process. I can NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. This will certainly offer you that signature wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Keep it basic and leading gently. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was skeptical yet hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to remain to describe how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s inexpensive and chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we ought to buy it or simply try to find another thing comparable online. However let me save you a long time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright perfect size, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth. It was likewise pretty straightforward to assemble – or at least I didn’t hear my companion swear excessive while he was placing it with each other and I believe it was performed in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels also. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute as well as rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
Something that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no need to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every now and then as dust picks it, but apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any covered area to store it however.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. You just link the lp and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I assume that making and preparing food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping as well as cooking to be a bit time-consuming, and also I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure entailed. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather simple. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise extremely lightweight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.