Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and it’s not hard to see why! They supply a very easy and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill but incredibly functional given that they can get to such a heat and also prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly got ours simply a few months back. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tips, techniques, and thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to select from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a larger size so that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually spark some happiness for you and also make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a reliable, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. Locating that lp container and having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, however right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a gas tank, and then when we located one we needed to discover a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our local hardware shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip far, however I called a TON of locations before I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! It was absolutely easier than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 minutes once you connect the gas storage tank. Then lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair minutes. My partner and also I were both happily stunned at exactly how easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the great area which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent distance between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to prepare also promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the warmth to reduced and also cooking it for a little bit longer at a reduced temperature may be much easier. With that said said, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit nervous about the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warm ideal and also maintain it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to find that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been rather prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we make use of all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I truly lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very slim between. This will offer you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t cook completely with.
- Don’t add also many garnishes to your pizza. Another method to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful yet hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as very crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to remain to explain exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s affordable and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s super handy in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, yet sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One point that actually tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no need to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dirt settles on it, yet apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up excessive area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any covered area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a lot of job to get the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply attach the propane and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely workable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience since I believe that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a trouble, the actual prepping and also preparing to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been sure what the cleansing procedure involved. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also extremely light-weight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.