Ooni Uu-p06a00 Koda 12 Oven
Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a simple as well as quick way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill yet extremely versatile given that they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally obtained ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my pointers, thoughts, and also techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specs you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas and additionally desired a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area might actually trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza night a lot more exciting!
This is a reliable, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank. Locating that lp tank and also having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a propane tank, and afterwards when we found one we needed to discover a area to get it filled up. Thankfully, our regional hardware store had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel far, but I called a TON of areas before I can also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may assume! It was most definitely simpler than I expected it to be. When you attach the lp container, you just turn it approximately high and allow it warm up for 20 minutes. After that lower the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both pleasantly stunned at how simple the Ooni is to utilize and also just how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it begins to cook also quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be simpler. With that said stated, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious about the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the heat ideal and also keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily shocked to discover that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Yet honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks because I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking process. I might NOT have been much more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one pound round of dough in 2, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms until it gets big enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very slim in the middle. This will give you that signature timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not prepare all the way via.
- Don’t include way too many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it basic and also top gently. This is not the time to make your signature additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful however hesitant that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can try to continue to describe just how tasty the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we must buy it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online, I had not been sure. However let me conserve you a long time and also energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute ideal dimension, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth. It was likewise quite basic to assemble – or at least I didn’t hear my partner vouch too much while he was placing it with each other and I think it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming as well as rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s very practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One thing that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust settles on it, but besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of protected area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. You just attach the propane as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do say experience since I believe that making and preparing food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. In general, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally really light-weight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.