Outside pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and it’s not hard to see why! They supply a quick and easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but extremely flexible because they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours simply a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, ideas, and tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specs you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas and also desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually spark some delight for you and also make pizza evening more interesting!
This is a well-made, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. I’m not sure why, however right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a gas tank, and also then as soon as we located one we had to find a area to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple minutes.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the great spot which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great range between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nevertheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warmth to cooking as well as low it for a bit much longer at a lower temp might be easier. With that said claimed, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious about the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the heat perfect and maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after just a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
I believe we get a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also topping. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. I might NOT have actually been more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel too. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I really prevailed due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms till it gets big enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely thin between. This will certainly give you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick in the center it will not prepare completely via.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the even more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it simple as well as leading gently. This is not the moment to make your signature added added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was skeptical yet confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You get those completely charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also extremely crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to remain to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive and cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we need to get it or simply try to discover something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. However let me save you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright excellent dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was also quite straightforward to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner swear too much while he was placing it together and also I believe it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s super handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
>> Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
Something that actually lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no need to sterilize the within or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior periodically as dirt settles on it, however other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t use up way too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any protected space to keep it however.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just connect the lp and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I think that making and cooking food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal even more job. Generally, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a actually basic, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather very easy.
It’s also extremely lightweight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside room, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.