Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and it’s not tough to see why! They use a fast as well as simple method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet extremely functional given that they can get to such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my pointers, thoughts, and also techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specifications you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas and also desired a larger size so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside area might really trigger some happiness for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, and also after that as soon as we located one we had to discover a location to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might assume! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair minutes.
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the cool area which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a excellent distance in between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to cooking as well as low it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature might be easier. With that said said, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit nervous about the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth just right as well as keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily surprised to discover that after just a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re very comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too lots of toppings to your pizza. An additional way to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was cynical but confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s low-cost as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we ought to get it or simply attempt to find something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s super useful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
Something that really tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to decontaminate or sterilize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dust chooses it, however aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a lot of job to get the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) but I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply connect the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. Because I assume that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more job. Generally, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly straightforward, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s also very light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a little storage space to keep it dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.