Exterior pizza ovens are becoming quite popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a very easy and also fast way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet super flexible because they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally obtained ours simply a few months ago. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my ideas, techniques, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually stimulate some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening more interesting!
Also, this is a durable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. Tracking down that lp storage tank and having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, however here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a propane container, and then as soon as we located one we needed to locate a place to get it loaded. Thankfully, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel much, but I called a TON of areas prior to I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may assume! It was absolutely less complicated than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high and allow it warm up for 20 mins as soon as you attach the lp storage tank. Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a pair minutes. My partner and also I were both pleasantly stunned at just how easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as just how enjoyable it is to view the pizza cook!
The good part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the amazing place which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around and also a good distance in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to prepare also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temp could be simpler. With that claimed, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit worried regarding the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warm ideal as well as keep it moving. I was happily stunned to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been quite prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Using the pizza oven is super very easy and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we make use of all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re really comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. He advises using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms up until it gets big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that signature timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. , if the crust is also thick in the center it will not cook all the way through.
- Do not include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Keep it top and easy lightly. This is not the time to make your signature added added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant but hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the inside as well as extremely crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s affordable and also chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we need to buy it or just try to locate something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Yet let me conserve you time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright excellent dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was likewise pretty easy to put together – or at least I didn’t hear my companion vouch excessive while he was placing it with each other and also I believe it was carried out in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels too. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming as well as rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One point that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside from time to time as dirt settles on it, yet besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of covered space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply connect the propane and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience since I assume that preparing and making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a trouble, the real preparing and prepping to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I had not been certain what the cleaning process involved. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.