Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being rather prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a quick and very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but incredibly functional given that they can get to such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly got ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my techniques, suggestions, and thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas and additionally wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area might actually spark some joy for you and also make pizza night much more interesting!
Likewise, this is a reliable, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for many years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. Tracking down that propane tank and having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not sure why, however right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas tank, and after that as soon as we discovered one we needed to locate a place to get it filled. The good news is, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip much, however I called a TON of areas prior to I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The wonderful component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the amazing spot which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to move the pizza around and also a great distance in between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that said turning the warm to reduced and cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. With that stated, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious concerning the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little tricky to get the warmth ideal as well as keep it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to master it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is super simple and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I actually prevailed due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. He advises using your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then extremely slim in the middle. This will give you that signature wood fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the center it won’t cook all the means with.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the more toppings you have, the harder it is. So maintain it top and simple gently. This is not the moment to make your signature added added cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic however doubtful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to describe how delicious the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s economical as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we should buy it or simply look for something else comparable online. Allow me save you some time and power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright perfect dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth. It was likewise pretty simple to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my partner swear way too much while he was putting it together and I think it was performed in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and also rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s super handy in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One thing that actually tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no need to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior periodically as dust picks it, however besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of covered room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply connect the gas as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I think that preparing and making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping and preparing to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure involved. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a really basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally really light-weight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.