Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a very easy and quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however incredibly functional considering that they can get to such a heat as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly obtained ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my tips, thoughts, as well as methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of being able to make use of gas and likewise desired a larger dimension to make sure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may really spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening much more amazing!
Additionally, this is a reliable, quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it a minimum of a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
You will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas tank and having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a lp storage tank, and afterwards as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a place to get it loaded. The good news is, our regional equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip much, but I called a TON of locations prior to I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a pair mins.
The nice component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome area which provides you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the warmth to cooking and low it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be easier. With that said claimed, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit anxious concerning the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the heat just right as well as maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily surprised to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely easy as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel also. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely thin between. This will certainly give you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t prepare right with.
- Do not include as well lots of toppings to your pizza. One more means to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You desire your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant yet hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also very crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to define just how tasty the pizza is, however let me just state, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we need to buy it or simply try to find something else comparable online. However let me save you time and also power. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect size, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise pretty easy to put together – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion swear way too much while he was placing it with each other as well as I assume it was performed in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming as well as rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One thing that truly lured me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust chooses it, yet apart from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of protected area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. You just attach the propane and also let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I assume that cooking and making food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.