Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a easy as well as quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill but incredibly functional because they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tips, methods, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and requirements you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of being able to use gas and also wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area might truly trigger some happiness for you and make pizza night more exciting!
Likewise, this is a durable, high quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank. I’m not certain why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane storage tank, and after that as soon as we located one we had to find a location to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might assume! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair mins.
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the great area which provides you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to cooking and low it for a bit much longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. With that stated, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit nervous about the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth perfect and also maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and topping. But truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation process. I could NOT have been much more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will certainly give you that trademark timber fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t add also lots of garnishes to your pizza. Another method to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was cynical but confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and also extremely crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to remain to explain how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s low-cost as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we need to acquire it or just try to find something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. Allow me save you some time as well as energy. There is nothing around that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect size, features a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s worth. It was also rather simple to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner vow too much while he was placing it together as well as I assume it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One thing that really attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no demand to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dirt decides on it, however other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. You just connect the lp as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that preparing and making food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite very easy.
It’s also very light-weight as well as portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.