Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred and also it’s not tough to see why! They provide a easy as well as quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill but very flexible considering that they can get to such a heat and also cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally got ours simply a few months back. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tricks, tips, as well as ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specifications you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of being able to use gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may truly spark some delight for you and make pizza night extra interesting!
This is a reliable, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container. Tracking down that lp storage tank as well as having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, however below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp container, and then once we found one we needed to find a area to get it loaded. Fortunately, our regional hardware shop had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of places before I can even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may think! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the cool place which offers you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a great distance in between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the warmth to cooking as well as low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be less complicated. With that claimed, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the heat to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit anxious regarding the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth perfect and maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Using the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it leading as well as easy lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature added extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was doubtful but hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You get those completely charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within as well as very crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to continue to explain how delicious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s affordable as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we must acquire it or just try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s extremely useful in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, however occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that really lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to sanitize or sanitize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior once in a while as dirt picks it, yet other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it does not use up way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of covered area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just link the gas and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience because I believe that making as well as cooking food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal even more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise very light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.