Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite popular and it’s not tough to see why! They use a easy and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet incredibly flexible because they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately obtained ours simply a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my ideas, ideas, and also methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas and additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outside location might actually stimulate some delight for you and also make pizza night much more amazing!
Additionally, this is a durable, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you look after it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely put together out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
You will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane container and having it filled might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp container, and then when we discovered one we needed to discover a place to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local equipment shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of areas before I might even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 minutes when you connect the lp tank. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair minutes. My partner and also I were both pleasantly stunned at how easy the Ooni is to use as well as how enjoyable it is to see the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome area which provides you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great range between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warm to low as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. With that stated, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit nervous concerning the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the heat perfect and keep it moving. I was happily stunned to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and topping. Yet truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. I could NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. This will certainly offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add way too many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it basic and also top gently. This is not the time to make your signature added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant yet hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You get those completely charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to remain to explain how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s economical as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we need to acquire it or just try to find something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. Allow me save you some time and energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright excellent dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally quite straightforward to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vouch way too much while he was placing it together and I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels too. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best offer.
One point that truly lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no need to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside from time to time as dust picks it, yet apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it does not take up excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just link the gas as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I assume that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot more job. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually simple, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally extremely lightweight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.