Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite popular and it’s not hard to see why! They use a fast and also simple method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but extremely functional since they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately got ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my methods, thoughts, and also pointers – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specs you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of being able to use gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may really spark some joy for you and also make pizza evening more exciting!
This is a durable, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas container as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane storage tank, and then as soon as we discovered one we had to discover a place to get it filled. Fortunately, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel much, but I called a TON of areas prior to I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might believe! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a pair mins.
The great part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the great area which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of space to move the pizza around as well as likewise a great distance between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to cooking and low it awhile longer at a reduced temperature might be less complicated. Keeping that stated, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous regarding the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth just right as well as keep it relocating. I was happily surprised to locate that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re very comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. This will certainly give you that signature timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it straightforward and also leading gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was cynical but confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and also super crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to explain how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we must get it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels as well. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One point that actually lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dirt picks it, but besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it does not take up too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of protected room to save it though.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the lp and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely workable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. Since I believe that preparing and making food actually can be an experience, I do say experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot more job. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite easy.
It’s additionally very light-weight and also portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.