Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and it’s not tough to see why! They provide a fast and simple method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet extremely functional because they can get to such a heat and also prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly got ours just a few months back. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my suggestions, methods, and thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specifications you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as also wanted a larger size so that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly spark some delight for you as well as make pizza evening much more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, top quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you care for it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. I’m not sure why, but here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a gas storage tank, as well as after that when we located one we had to locate a location to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair mins.
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the great spot which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to low and also cooking it for a little bit longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous concerning the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little tricky to get the warmth just right and keep it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily amazed to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is very very easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound ball of dough in 2, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I truly lucked out. He advises using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very slim in the middle. This will certainly give you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it will not cook all the way via.
- Do not add way too many toppings to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Maintain it leading and also basic lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident but cynical that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles around, the crust is tender on the within and also incredibly crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to continue to describe how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s affordable as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been sure if we need to get it or just attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One thing that really attracted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no demand to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside every so often as dirt settles on it, but aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a great deal of work to get the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of 3) however I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the lp as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally doable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that making as well as cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a inconvenience, the real prepping and cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, and I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process required. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.