Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick as well as very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however incredibly functional given that they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally obtained ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, ideas, and techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specs you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size to make sure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may really spark some delight for you as well as make pizza night more exciting!
This is a reliable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Locating that propane storage tank as well as having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas container, and afterwards as soon as we found one we had to discover a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel much, yet I called a TON of locations prior to I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! It was absolutely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high and also let it warm up for 20 minutes once you link the lp storage tank. Then reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple mins. My companion and also I were both happily amazed at how very easy the Ooni is to use and also how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the cool area which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent range in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warm to cooking as well as reduced it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. With that said, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious about the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the heat perfect as well as keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to master it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and topping. But honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. I might NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is very very easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. This will certainly give you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more way to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it easy and top lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was doubtful however hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those completely charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the within as well as incredibly crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to continue to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will certainly be amazed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I had not been certain if we must purchase it or simply try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
Something that actually attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior once in a while as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and also it does not take up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. If you do not have any type of protected room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You simply attach the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience since I assume that cooking and making food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a problem, the real prepping and preparing to be a bit lengthy, as well as I had not been sure what the cleansing process required. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s likewise very lightweight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.