Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being rather prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a simple and quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet super functional given that they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, suggestions, and also tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly trigger some happiness for you and make pizza evening much more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas container as well as having it filled could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a propane tank, and afterwards when we found one we had to locate a location to get it filled. Luckily, our local hardware shop had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, but I called a TON of locations before I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! It was definitely simpler than I anticipated it to be. Once you attach the propane tank, you just transform it up to high and let it heat up for 20 mins. Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly shocked at how simple the Ooni is to use and also exactly how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the great place which gives you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to move the pizza around and likewise a great range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it awhile much longer at a lower temperature may be easier. With that said said, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit worried concerning the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warmth just right as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also huge unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. This will certainly offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too lots of toppings to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned immediately.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was doubtful however enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and also very crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s economical and chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we should buy it or just try to find something else comparable online. But let me conserve you some time as well as power. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute ideal size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was likewise pretty straightforward to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion vow excessive while he was placing it together and I think it was performed in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable as well as rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
>> Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One thing that actually tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no demand to disinfect the within or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt chooses it, yet besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it does not use up way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of covered room to store it however.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) however I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the propane and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely doable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. Due to the fact that I believe that cooking and making food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My general ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a trouble, the actual cooking as well as prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, and I had not been certain what the cleaning process involved. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s also really light-weight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside area, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.