Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and also it’s not tough to see why! They provide a easy and fast way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however incredibly functional considering that they can get to such a heat and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my ideas, ideas, as well as methods – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to select from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas and likewise wanted a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area might truly stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza night more exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas storage tank and having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, however below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and then when we found one we needed to discover a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, but I called a TON of places prior to I might even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could assume! It was definitely much easier than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 minutes as soon as you connect the propane container. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a pair minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily amazed at how very easy the Ooni is to make use of and also just how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing area which offers you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a great distance in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to prepare as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warm to cooking and low it awhile much longer at a lower temp may be much easier. With that said, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth perfect and also maintain it relocating. I was happily amazed to find that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. Using the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel also. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. This will offer you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too several toppings to your pizza. Another method to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned immediately.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was unconvinced but enthusiastic that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the inside as well as very crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to define how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s low-cost as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or just try to find something else comparable online. Let me save you some time and also power. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright perfect size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth. It was also pretty easy to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner vouch too much while he was putting it with each other as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels also. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s very handy in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One point that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside every now and then as dirt settles on it, but other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t use up way too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly assist it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of protected space to save it however.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s actually not. You simply connect the lp as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I think that cooking as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
It’s also very light-weight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little storage area to keep it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.