Outside pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a very easy as well as fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet very functional considering that they can reach such a heat and also prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as lastly got ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, ideas, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as requirements you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as also wanted a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may truly stimulate some joy for you and make pizza evening much more amazing!
This is a well-made, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. Finding that gas storage tank and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a lp container, and then when we found one we needed to locate a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of places prior to I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! It was definitely much easier than I expected it to be. When you attach the gas tank, you just transform it as much as high and also allow it heat up for 20 minutes. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a couple minutes. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly stunned at just how easy the Ooni is to use and also how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing area which gives you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a great distance between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to cook as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. However, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature may be much easier. Keeping that stated, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried about the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth perfect and also maintain it moving. I was happily stunned to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is super easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re really comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one pound round of dough in 2, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will give you that trademark timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t add way too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it top and straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your signature additional extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was unconvinced yet confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and also super crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to continue to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s economical as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. If we must purchase it or just try to discover something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Yet let me save you time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute perfect size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth. It was additionally quite straightforward to assemble – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion vouch way too much while he was putting it together and I think it was done in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s extremely valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One point that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside periodically as dust decides on it, but aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) however I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just attach the gas as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I believe that cooking and also making food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a headache, the real preparing as well as prepping to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleaning process entailed. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite very easy. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also really lightweight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a little storage room to maintain it completely dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.