Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They use a quick as well as very easy method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet very flexible considering that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, techniques, and also pointers – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as requirements you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and also desired a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may really stimulate some delight for you and also make pizza evening a lot more interesting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. Finding that lp container and having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a lp tank, and after that as soon as we discovered one we had to discover a place to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local equipment store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel far, but I called a TON of places prior to I can also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may think! It was definitely much easier than I expected it to be. Once you connect the gas container, you simply transform it as much as high and also let it heat up for 20 minutes. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at how simple the Ooni is to make use of and also just how fun it is to see the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome place which gives you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the heat to cooking and also low it for a bit longer at a lower temp could be simpler. With that said claimed, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit nervous concerning the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warm just right as well as maintain it moving. I was happily shocked to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel also. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional, I actually lucked out. He advises using your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really slim between. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick between it will not cook right through.
- Do not include as well several toppings to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was cynical but enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You get those completely charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside as well as very crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to explain how delicious the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we ought to acquire it or simply attempt to locate something else similar online, I had not been sure. Yet let me save you a long time and also energy. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the absolute excellent size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally rather simple to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner promise excessive while he was placing it together and also I think it was performed in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One thing that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to disinfect or disinfect the within of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dirt picks it, yet aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up way too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any kind of covered area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the gas as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I think that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more job. Overall, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly straightforward, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
It’s additionally extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.