Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a fast and very easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet very flexible since they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally got ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my suggestions, thoughts, as well as techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your demands and spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as requirements you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of having the ability to use gas and also desired a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually trigger some joy for you and also make pizza night more interesting!
Additionally, this is a well-made, quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas storage tank and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane container, and after that once we found one we needed to find a place to get it loaded. The good news is, our regional equipment store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of areas before I can even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins.
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome area which offers you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a great range between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to cook also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said transforming the heat to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature may be simpler. Keeping that said, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to get the warm ideal and maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily amazed to locate that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to master it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. I might NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is very easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel too. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one pound sphere of dough in two, and then present two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will certainly provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add as well many toppings to your pizza. One more way to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic however unconvinced that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as super crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we should acquire it or simply try to locate something else comparable online, I wasn’t sure. Allow me conserve you some time as well as power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright excellent size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was additionally quite simple to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner promise way too much while he was placing it with each other and I believe it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One thing that truly tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside from time to time as dirt settles on it, yet other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You just attach the gas as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I believe that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a problem, the real preparing and also prepping to be a little bit taxing, and also I wasn’t sure what the cleansing procedure involved. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly simple, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s additionally very lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.