Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick and easy means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but very flexible given that they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also finally obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, pointers, and also techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also requirements you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to make use of gas as well as also desired a larger size to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually trigger some happiness for you and also make pizza evening extra exciting!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane tank. Finding that propane container and also having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas container, and afterwards when we discovered one we had to discover a place to get it filled up. Luckily, our local equipment store had one left, and the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to take a trip much, however I called a TON of locations before I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! It was definitely much easier than I expected it to be. When you link the propane tank, you just transform it approximately high and allow it heat up for 20 mins. After that reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner as well as I were both happily surprised at how easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as just how fun it is to see the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the awesome spot which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to move the pizza around and additionally a great distance between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. However, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp might be easier. With that claimed, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit anxious regarding the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warm perfect and maintain it relocating. I was happily amazed to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t prepare all the method through.
- Do not include also lots of garnishes to your pizza. One more way to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted immediately.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced however enthusiastic that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s economical and cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we need to acquire it or simply try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and also pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s very handy in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best offer.
Something that actually tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the outside from time to time as dust chooses it, however apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) however I assure you, it’s really not. You simply connect the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience because I believe that preparing and also making food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a inconvenience, the actual preparing and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure involved. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly simple, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s likewise very lightweight as well as portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.