Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a quick as well as very easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill yet incredibly functional because they can reach such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately got ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my ideas, tricks, and pointers – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas as well as also desired a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location might really stimulate some delight for you and also make pizza night more interesting!
Also, this is a durable, top quality cooking device that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane tank. Finding that gas container and also having it filled may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m unsure why, however below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane container, and then when we found one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. Fortunately, our regional equipment shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, yet I called a TON of places prior to I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could assume! It was certainly simpler than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you connect the lp storage tank, you just turn it as much as high and also allow it warm up for 20 minutes. Then reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple mins. My partner and I were both happily amazed at exactly how simple the Ooni is to utilize as well as how fun it is to watch the pizza chef!
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome area which gives you much more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to move the pizza around and additionally a excellent range between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. However, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the heat to low and also cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature might be much easier. With that stated, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit anxious regarding the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the heat just right and maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I truly lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really thin in the middle. This will provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick between it won’t cook all the way via.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another means to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the more toppings you have, the harder it is. So maintain it simple and leading gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark added added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely shed immediately.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident but hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to remain to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s low-cost as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we ought to purchase it or just try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s super practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One point that really lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect or sanitize the within of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt chooses it, however besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the propane as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it supplies. Since I believe that making as well as preparing food really can be an experience, I do state experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a hassle, the real cooking and prepping to be a bit lengthy, as well as I had not been sure what the cleansing process entailed. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally extremely lightweight and portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.