Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a quick as well as simple means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet extremely functional given that they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, pointers, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might actually stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza night more exciting!
Also, this is a reliable, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. I’m not certain why, however right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane tank, and also then when we located one we had to find a location to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! It was most definitely much easier than I expected it to be. You simply turn it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 mins when you link the propane tank. After that lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily stunned at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to make use of and also exactly how fun it is to see the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing area which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good distance in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the warmth to reduced and also cooking it for a little bit longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. Keeping that claimed, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious about the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth perfect and also keep it moving. I was happily stunned to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as covering. Yet honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a tough food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been extra wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the way via.
- Do not include also many toppings to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic but cynical that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and also very crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to remain to define just how delicious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s affordable and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we ought to purchase it or just attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming as well as rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, however sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best bargain.
Something that really enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect the within or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dust decides on it, yet besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of protected room to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. You simply attach the gas and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I think that cooking and also making food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a problem, the actual prepping and also cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure required. Overall, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite simple. As well as clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s likewise very light-weight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.