Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a quick as well as very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but very flexible since they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my tricks, thoughts, and suggestions – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of being able to use gas as well as additionally desired a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Likewise, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you care for it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a propane tank, and also after that as soon as we located one we had to find a area to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may assume! It was absolutely simpler than I expected it to be. As soon as you link the lp storage tank, you simply turn it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 minutes. Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple minutes. My companion and also I were both pleasantly surprised at just how simple the Ooni is to utilize and also just how enjoyable it is to view the pizza cook!
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy area which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as likewise a great range in between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to reduced and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature could be less complicated. With that said claimed, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit worried about the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm perfect and also keep it moving. I was happily shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. He suggests using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms up until it gets large enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin in the middle. This will certainly provide you that signature timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is too thick between it will not cook right via.
- Do not add as well many toppings to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant yet enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the within and also incredibly crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to continue to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s cost-effective and cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we must purchase it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s extremely helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
>> Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best offer.
One thing that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to decontaminate or sterilize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust decides on it, yet besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the lp as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience since I assume that making as well as cooking food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal even more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a problem, the actual preparing and prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure entailed. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather easy. As well as clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally really lightweight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little storage room to maintain it dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.