Exterior pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a very easy and also fast method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet extremely flexible since they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally got ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, ideas, and also methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and requirements you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas and also desired a larger size so that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might truly spark some happiness for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, quality food preparation device that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
You will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas container and having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, but here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a lp storage tank, and then when we found one we had to find a location to get it filled up. Thankfully, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of locations prior to I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a pair mins.
The good part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome place which provides you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as likewise a great range between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to prepare also rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to low and also cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temp may be much easier. With that claimed, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the warm ideal as well as maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and also covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. I could NOT have been more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is super simple and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one pound round of dough in 2, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional, I actually lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really thin in the middle. This will offer you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook all the way through.
- Do not include way too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. So keep it top and also simple lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was cynical yet confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s affordable and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we ought to purchase it or just attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels as well. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s extremely valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, but in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One thing that really enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dust decides on it, yet other than that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply link the lp and also let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience since I believe that preparing as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal more work. Overall, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly easy, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise very lightweight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.