Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being rather preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick and also easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but super flexible considering that they can reach such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly obtained ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tricks, tips, and also thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specs you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as also wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might actually stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
Also, this is a durable, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for many years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
You will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas container and also having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a propane tank, and then once we located one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. Luckily, our local equipment store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel far, however I called a TON of areas prior to I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair minutes.
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing place which provides you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a good distance in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a little bit longer at a reduced temperature could be much easier. Keeping that stated, our preferred food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit worried regarding the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the heat perfect and also keep it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is very very easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound round of dough in 2, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will offer you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t add a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another method to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it leading and also easy gently. This is not the moment to make your signature additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic yet skeptical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You get those completely charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as very crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to define just how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. If we ought to acquire it or simply try to find something else comparable online, I had not been certain. Let me save you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute excellent dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also pretty simple to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner vouch way too much while he was placing it together and I assume it was done in less than an hr, even with a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable as well as quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best deal.
Something that really enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no need to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every now and then as dirt settles on it, however besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy way too much room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of protected space to keep it however.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni ready up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the propane and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely workable on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I think that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a trouble, the real cooking and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure required. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite simple. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally extremely light-weight as well as mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.