Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a quick and also easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but very flexible given that they can get to such a heat and prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as lastly obtained ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my techniques, suggestions, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of being able to make use of gas and also desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a reliable, high quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas tank and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a propane container, and afterwards when we discovered one we had to find a place to get it filled. Thankfully, our local hardware shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to travel far, but I called a TON of locations prior to I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple minutes.
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool area which provides you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and likewise a excellent distance in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the heat to cooking and reduced it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature could be less complicated. With that said, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous about the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth ideal and maintain it relocating. However, I was happily amazed to locate that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also topping. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking process. I can NOT have been extra wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is very easy and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. He recommends utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains big enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely slim in the middle. This will give you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re searching for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not cook all the method through.
- Do not include as well many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hesitant however confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within as well as very crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to continue to describe how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s affordable as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we must buy it or just try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
Something that really lured me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to disinfect the within or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior every now and then as dust picks it, yet besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will certainly help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of protected room to save it though.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a great deal of job to get the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply link the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely practical on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. Because I think that cooking as well as making food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise extremely lightweight and mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside area, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.