Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a simple and quick method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but incredibly flexible considering that they can get to such a heat and also cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly got ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my techniques, tips, as well as thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specifications you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location may actually trigger some delight for you and make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane tank. I’m not certain why, however below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a gas tank, and after that as soon as we found one we had to discover a location to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins.
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the great area which offers you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to move the pizza around and also a good range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. Keeping that stated, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit nervous regarding the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth just right and maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and topping. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. I can NOT have been more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. This will provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include also several garnishes to your pizza. Another means to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic but hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and extremely crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can try to remain to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we should purchase it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no demand to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the outside from time to time as dust chooses it, yet apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a lot of job to get the Ooni good to go up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) but I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the lp and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely workable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I believe that making and cooking food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally very lightweight as well as mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.