Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a fast and easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however extremely flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally got ours simply a couple of months back. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, ideas, and techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of being able to use gas as well as likewise desired a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually trigger some delight for you and make pizza evening more amazing!
This is a reliable, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp container and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a propane tank, and afterwards as soon as we found one we needed to find a location to get it filled up. The good news is, our local equipment store had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip far, but I called a TON of locations before I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a pair minutes.
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which provides you much more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and additionally a good distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said transforming the heat to cooking and also low it for a bit longer at a lower temperature could be much easier. With that said said, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit worried regarding the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm just right and also maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to discover that after just a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. I could NOT have actually been a lot more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very easy and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I really lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains huge enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very slim between. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is also thick between it will not cook right via.
- Don’t add as well several toppings to your pizza. One more means to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was cynical however hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and also super crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can try to continue to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s affordable and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we should acquire it or simply attempt to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and also rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s super handy in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, but occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One point that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no need to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside every so often as dirt settles on it, but besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it does not take up excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any type of protected space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do state experience since I assume that cooking and also making food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also extremely light-weight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.