Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a easy as well as quick way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however extremely flexible because they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately got ours simply a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my techniques, tips, and also thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to use gas and likewise desired a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza night extra interesting!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. Finding that lp tank and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m unsure why, but below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp container, and after that when we located one we needed to discover a area to get it filled up. Thankfully, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel far, however I called a TON of locations prior to I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple mins.
The nice component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front right side is the awesome place which offers you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around and also a great range in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to cook as well swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that claimed transforming the heat to cooking as well as low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp may be much easier. With that said claimed, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit worried about the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the heat just right and also maintain it moving. However, I was happily surprised to locate that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we make use of all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound round of dough in two, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. This will provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic but cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and incredibly crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s affordable and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth about. I had not been sure if we must acquire it or simply attempt to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best offer.
Something that actually attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to decontaminate or sanitize the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior once in a while as dirt decides on it, however besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected room to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You just link the propane and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. Since I think that preparing and making food really can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a problem, the real prepping and also preparing to be a bit taxing, and I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure required. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely light-weight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.