Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They offer a fast as well as simple means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet incredibly functional because they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly got ours simply a couple of months ago. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, techniques, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of being able to utilize gas and additionally wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might really trigger some joy for you as well as make pizza night extra amazing!
This is a well-made, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a lp storage tank, and then as soon as we found one we had to discover a place to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome place which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to move the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature might be easier. With that said, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit nervous concerning the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the heat perfect and also maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly stunned to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually begin to master it!
I assume we obtain a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. I can NOT have been extra incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super simple as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. This will provide you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include also many toppings to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to completely shed immediately.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic yet cynical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and super crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to remain to describe how tasty the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s cost-effective and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we ought to acquire it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
Something that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to decontaminate or sterilize the within of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside periodically as dust decides on it, however other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up way too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of covered space to store it though.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s really not. You just link the lp and allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. Because I assume that cooking and making food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a trouble, the real prepping and preparing to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleaning process involved. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite very easy. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s additionally extremely light-weight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little storage space to maintain it dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.