Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular and it’s not hard to see why! They offer a very easy and fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet super flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately obtained ours simply a few months ago. I know you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my tricks, tips, as well as thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to use gas and also desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may really stimulate some joy for you as well as make pizza night much more interesting!
Also, this is a durable, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that propane container as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a gas tank, and then when we found one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. Thankfully, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, and also the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to take a trip much, but I called a TON of areas prior to I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could assume! It was definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. When you link the propane container, you simply turn it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 mins. Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly amazed at how very easy the Ooni is to make use of and also exactly how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy spot which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good range in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. Keeping that claimed, our preferred cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit anxious regarding the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warm ideal and keep it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking process. Using the pizza oven is super simple and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and then roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I actually lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that extremely thin in the center. This will provide you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. If the crust is as well thick between it will not cook completely with.
- Don’t add too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was cynical yet enthusiastic that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and also extremely crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s economical as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. If we need to purchase it or simply try to locate something else similar online, I had not been sure. Allow me conserve you some time and also power. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute best size, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was additionally rather simple to create – or at least I really did not hear my partner swear excessive while he was placing it together as well as I believe it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels as well. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute as well as rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best deal.
One thing that actually attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to disinfect the within or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior once in a while as dust settles on it, yet besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of 3) yet I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the lp and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely workable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that making as well as cooking food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot even more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a hassle, the actual prepping and also cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, and I had not been certain what the cleaning process entailed. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s likewise really lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.