Ooni Pro Alternative
Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They provide a easy as well as fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill however super versatile given that they can get to such a heat and also prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally obtained ours simply a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, techniques, and ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specifications you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas and also wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area may truly stimulate some delight for you as well as make pizza night extra amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-made, top quality cooking device that is going to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. I’m not sure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a propane container, and also after that as soon as we found one we had to locate a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The good part is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome place which gives you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and also a good range in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that said turning the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be easier. With that stated, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous about the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the heat ideal as well as maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to master it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also topping. Yet truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks since I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a challenging food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is very very easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too big unless you’re very comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and then present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I actually lucked out because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. He advises using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms up until it gets large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very slim in the middle. This will offer you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is too thick in the middle it will not prepare completely with.
- Do not include as well lots of garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful yet cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and also super crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to remain to define just how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s affordable as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we need to buy it or just try to find something else comparable online. However let me save you time and power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth. It was additionally rather straightforward to assemble – or at least I didn’t hear my companion vouch way too much while he was putting it with each other and I assume it was performed in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off also. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute as well as rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to prepare!
>> Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One point that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt decides on it, yet apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not occupy too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will help it last longer. If you do not have any covered room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You simply connect the gas as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. I do state experience because I think that preparing and also making food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a inconvenience, the real preparing and also prepping to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process required. Generally, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a actually easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite simple. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally very lightweight as well as mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside room, a little storage room to keep it dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.