Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast and also simple means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill however extremely functional given that they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, tips, and also methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas as well as also desired a bigger dimension so that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area might really trigger some delight for you and also make pizza night more amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you look after it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas tank and also having it filled could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp container, and afterwards when we discovered one we had to find a location to get it filled. Fortunately, our regional hardware store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel much, but I called a TON of areas before I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! It was absolutely easier than I anticipated it to be. You just transform it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 minutes once you link the propane tank. After that lower the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair mins. My companion and I were both happily amazed at exactly how easy the Ooni is to use and also exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome place which provides you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and likewise a good distance between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to cook too quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warmth to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature might be less complicated. With that stated, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit worried regarding the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to get the heat ideal and also keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we perfect the dough shaping as well as covering. Yet honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a tough food preparation process. I could NOT have been extra wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely simple and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I actually prevailed since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms till it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely thin in the middle. This will offer you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it will not prepare all the method via.
- Don’t include also numerous garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was cynical however enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to continue to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been certain if we should buy it or just look for another thing similar online. Allow me conserve you some time as well as power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright excellent dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s worth. It was likewise rather simple to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion swear excessive while he was putting it with each other and I assume it was carried out in less than an hr, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute as well as pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly useful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One thing that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no demand to disinfect the inside or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior once in a while as dust chooses it, however other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and also it does not occupy too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. If you do not have any type of protected space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. You just link the lp and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do state experience due to the fact that I assume that making and also preparing food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a headache, the actual prepping and preparing to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a actually simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather easy. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally extremely light-weight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.