Outside pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They provide a easy and fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but incredibly functional given that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately got ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my pointers, thoughts, and tricks – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your needs and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and requirements you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of being able to make use of gas as well as also wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may really spark some joy for you and also make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a well-crafted, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally constructed out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp tank. I’m not sure why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a propane tank, as well as after that once we discovered one we had to discover a area to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may assume! It was absolutely easier than I expected it to be. As soon as you connect the lp storage tank, you just transform it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 mins. After that reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both happily amazed at just how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and just how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the cool area which provides you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent range in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature could be simpler. Keeping that stated, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious concerning the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm perfect as well as keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. I could NOT have been much more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the even more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. Keep it straightforward and top lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident but hesitant that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within and also incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to remain to describe just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. If we ought to purchase it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online, I had not been sure. Allow me save you some time as well as power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright excellent size, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was also rather easy to create – or at least I didn’t hear my companion promise way too much while he was placing it together as well as I assume it was performed in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute as well as quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very practical in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, however sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One point that actually lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every so often as dust chooses it, but aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the propane and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. Since I assume that making as well as cooking food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a inconvenience, the actual preparing and also prepping to be a little bit lengthy, and also I had not been certain what the cleansing process required. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually simple, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise really lightweight and portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior space, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.