Ooni Pro 16 Gas Burner Attachment
Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a easy and quick way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however extremely functional considering that they can get to such a heat and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately obtained ours simply a few months earlier. I know you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, suggestions, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and also budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specifications you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and also wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually trigger some joy for you and also make pizza evening extra amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you care for it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that lp storage tank as well as having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane tank, and afterwards when we discovered one we needed to discover a location to get it filled. Fortunately, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel much, however I called a TON of areas prior to I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the amazing place which offers you more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of space to move the pizza around and additionally a good range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp may be much easier. Keeping that said, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit anxious concerning the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth ideal and also keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. I can NOT have been a lot more wrong. Using the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one pound round of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. This will certainly give you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not add also numerous garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident yet unconvinced that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within as well as super crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to remain to define how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. If we need to acquire it or simply try to discover something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Let me save you some time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright best size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth. It was additionally quite straightforward to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vow way too much while he was placing it together as well as I believe it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming as well as quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s super handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and prepares to prepare!
>> Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, however in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One point that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to decontaminate or sanitize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior once in a while as dirt settles on it, but besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of protected room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the gas as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely practical on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I think that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a problem, the real cooking and also prepping to be a bit taxing, and I had not been certain what the cleaning procedure involved. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.