Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a simple and also fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however very functional since they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also finally got ours simply a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my suggestions, ideas, and also tricks – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might actually spark some delight for you and make pizza night a lot more interesting!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you look after it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp tank, and also after that as soon as we discovered one we had to discover a area to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! It was absolutely much easier than I anticipated it to be. Once you link the gas storage tank, you just turn it up to high and allow it warm up for 20 minutes. After that reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins. My partner and also I were both pleasantly surprised at exactly how simple the Ooni is to utilize as well as exactly how fun it is to see the pizza chef!
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome place which offers you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and likewise a excellent distance between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to prepare as well quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warmth to low and cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temp could be less complicated. Keeping that stated, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit anxious regarding the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warm ideal as well as maintain it relocating. However, I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to master it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also topping. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. I could NOT have been extra wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one extra pound round of dough in two, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will certainly offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too many garnishes to your pizza. Another means to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it top and also basic lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident however skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and very crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we ought to buy it or simply attempt to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely useful in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
Something that truly lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt chooses it, but besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. You simply attach the propane and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that making and also cooking food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s also really light-weight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a little storage space to keep it dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.