Ooni Prep Table
Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They use a simple and quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet extremely versatile given that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as lastly obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, tricks, and also suggestions – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specifications you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as also wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may really stimulate some joy for you and make pizza evening extra interesting!
Also, this is a durable, top quality cooking device that is going to last for several years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank. I’m not sure why, but here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp storage tank, as well as then once we discovered one we had to discover a location to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may believe! It was definitely simpler than I expected it to be. Once you connect the gas tank, you just turn it as much as high and also let it warm up for 20 minutes. Then reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both happily surprised at how simple the Ooni is to use and also how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool spot which gives you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to move the pizza around and also a great distance between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to prepare as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warmth to cooking and reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm just right as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily amazed to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been much more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. This will certainly give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include as well several toppings to your pizza. An additional way to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic but doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to remain to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just state, you will be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s low-cost as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we should buy it or simply search for another thing comparable online. However let me save you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing out there that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute ideal size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally quite simple to put together – or at least I didn’t hear my partner vouch too much while he was putting it with each other and I think it was carried out in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s super practical in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
>> Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, however occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One thing that really enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the inside or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt picks it, however besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the lp and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. I do state experience because I think that cooking as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a inconvenience, the actual preparing and prepping to be a bit taxing, and I wasn’t sure what the cleaning process involved. Overall, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather simple. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also very lightweight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.